Terminally ill mother chooses to avoid chemo to give her newborn ‘the best chance in life’

The story of a terminally ill mother who chose to delay crucial cancer treatment while she was expecting her
second child is definitely going to melt your heart.

Speaker Karu Jayasuriya’s younger daughter Indira Dicker (40) passed away on Thursday November 2,
after suffering from terminal illness in London, England.

An old girl of St. Bridget’s Convent and Devi Balika Vidyalaya Colombo, she obtained a Master’s Degree in Economics from the University of Bradford and a PhD in Economics from the London School of Economics.

Late Mrs. Indira Dicker served in several UK institutions in a managerial capacity, and was serving as a Senior Sales Manager at the time of her death.

A mother of two children, Mrs. Indira Dicker was married to Mr. Martyn Dicker who is a British national.

Indira was given a clear from breast cancer two years earlier. But she was given the devastating news that the
disease had returned and spread to her liver while she was just 28 weeks along with her son.

Initially she had spotted a lump in her right breast in the winter of 2007 and was advised by doctors to go for an
early Cesarean so she could begin fighting the tumours – and give her newborn ‘the best chance in life‘.

However, in May 2015, when she was 33 weeks and six days pregnant she agreed to have a Cesarean section and
gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

While fighting the disease, Indira was trying to help husband Martyn face the future without her. However she had said that she wouldn’t have done anything differently.

‘I can’t bear to think about leaving my children behind‘, she said.

‘I’ve told Martyn that when I go, I want him to find love again – with someone who adores Thilini and Dilan. I have
no regrets about having children. ‘They are what keep me fighting. I feel positive and am making the most of
every moment I spend with my family. Not a day goes by when I don’t tell them I love them.’

 

The post Terminally ill mother chooses to avoid chemo to give her newborn ‘the best chance in life’ appeared first on Sri Lanka News - Newsfirst | News1st | newsfirst.lk | Breaking.